Steps to take before installing your motorization
Before installing your motorization, whatever the model, make sure that :
- The mains supply is protected by either a circuit breaker or a 10A fuse;
- You have a 30mA differential circuit breaker on your electrical panel;
- The power cable is buried at least 50 cm deep and surrounded by an orange sheath;
- The electrical cable cross-section is 3 x 1.5 mm2 up to 30 meters, and 3 x 2.5 mm2 over 30 meters;
- The warning grid is placed above the duct, to avoid any incident if you need to dig later.
- Electrical cable (RO2V) is used to connect various electrical circuits and their associated sockets. Since it’s one of the most widely used cables in electrical installations, it’s often referred to as “universal cable”.
⚠️ In all cases, do not make any connections or take any action unless your circuit breaker is OFF.
Our step-by-step guide to installing each motorization according to its specific features
Each motor has its own distance. If you change motor type, you’ll probably have to re-drill your pillar, just like your gate.
Installing a motorized swing gate
- Before starting work, locate the distance between the hinges and the edge of the inside face of the gate pillar;
- From this distance, determine the offset distance from the edge of your pillar. Position your motor mounting bracket from this distance;
- Mark the distance and height on your pillar, and drill holes for the motorization mounting screws. You must first install the correct plugs for the type of pillar – wood, brick or concrete – otherwise the motor may come loose from the pillar.
Some arm motorization models do not include a distance to calculate. The manufacturer sometimes imposes them. However, you must always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. If the dimensions are not respected, your engines will not work properly. Both gate and motorization risk damage. Finally, please note that motors should never be installed more than 1 metre above the ground, for safety reasons and to comply with current standards.
Installing a motorized sliding gate
There are two criteria to consider when installing your sliding gate motor:
- Pour a cement slab to support the engine block. Make sure it’s perfectly executed and at the right level. If a few degrees are missing, you can correct the horizontal position using the motor support mounting plates;
- Be sure to take into account the height of your motor. Always respect the distance between the teeth of the motor pinion and those of the racks. If the motor is positioned too high or too low, the pinion teeth will hit the rack rail and be damaged.
What’s your budget?
Depending on price range
For an entry-level motorization, you’ll need to budget around 200 euros. If we look at top-of-the-range gate automations, the price range oscillates between 500 and 800 euros. These prices do not include the bill from the professional who will eventually install your motorization.
Professional motorization installation
If you choose to have your gate installed by a professional, add between 500 and 600 euros to your budget, or even more in some cases. However, the gate motorization market offers many models that are easy to install on their own. This type of product allows you to ensure your safety, while installing a cost-effective solution.
Don’t let your motorization fool you! We’ll show you how to install it safely and easily in your home.