Whatever type of motorization you choose, you’ll need access to electricity anyway. In most cases, motorizing your gate will require you to connect it to your domestic electrical installation. The cables will have to be laid and buried. If you have a large plot of land, you’ll need to budget carefully . Alternatively, opt for an energy-saving power supply (e.g. solar panel), which is no less reliable for all that. Solar gate motorization is less expensive, if you consider the budget needed to dig a trench and pull those cables.
All gate motors work in the same way, whatever type of motorization you choose.
You have a swing gate
You’re the proud owner of a swing gate and would like to motorize it. Several solutions are available, each with its own strengths and weaknesses.
Articulating arm motorization
This type of motorization is fixed to the pillar with an arm that opens and closes the gate. Just imagine theimitation of a human arm operating your gate . For this installation, budget between 300 and 800 euros in DIY stores and e-commerce outlets.
- ✔︎ The system is imposing, but faster and quieter. You can be sure that it will fit any type of gate. The undeniable strength of this system is that it respects the natural movement of your leaves, and places little strain on the fasteners. Think of this motorization if your gate is large, even if it’s heavy, whatever its material, whether solid or openwork. Also note that many accessories are compatible with this motorization. And then look ahead: you can automate your motorization and integrate it into your connected home.
- As we’ve seen, the system is cumbersome. You’ll need to make sure there’s enough clearance for the arm to move when it opens the gate. Allow one meter for movement, i.e. arm space + safety space. This system is more expensive than other automatic systems.
Cylinder or telescopic motorization
This motorization is fixed to the pillar, in direct contact with the gate for opening and closing . Prices range from 200 to 600 euros, on e-commerce platforms and in DIY superstores.
- ✔︎ This solution is more affordable than other motorizations. Although slower, this system is also compact and quiet. Like arm operators, it can be installed on heavy gates. It’s easy to install: the motorization system can be mounted on a wall or post, either as an extension of your gate or on a perpendicular wall. First, make sure you have sturdy fasteners. This system is compatible with a wide range of accessories and can be easily implemented in your connected home.
- Please note that this process places considerable stress on the fastening points, since the pull is directed towards the fastener and the gate pivot. So be sure to follow your instructions carefully. Please note that this motorization model is not suitable for PVC gates or very large gates.
This wheel system for swing gates is easy to understand. A wheel attached to the gate drives it. With a wheel drive, you benefit from all the advantages of a sliding or hinged-arm drive.
- ✔︎ Like an arm or sliding gate operator, the wheel operator is compatible with heavy gates exceeding 500 kilos. Another big plus: if the access to your home is on a slope, you can opt for a motorized wheel (assuming a maximum incline of 35%). Nor is there any limit to the opening angle. Make the most of your motorization by integrating it into your connected home ecosystem.
- Wheel drive has the defects of its qualities. In other words, while it’s easy to install on sloping ground, it won ‘t work on uneven terrain. For example, the wheel will fail if the ground around your home is cluttered or made up of gravel.
Underground motorization for swing gates
This type of motorization is easy to use, since the motor is integrated into the floor. It’s an aesthetic motorization because it’s invisible. Like many other systems, it respects the natural movement of the gate. Choose this system if the access to your home has small pillars.
- ✔︎ With an in-ground motorization, you get a silent, fast product that will never strain your mounting points. Nor is there any limit to the opening angle. You can also link your gate operator to your connected home.
- In fact, you‘ll need to install the motorization at the same time as the gate, while providing two concrete boxes without the floor to hold the motors. These boxes must be made to measure, otherwise they will fill up with water during rainy periods. So the price is right. The price is also important in the event of work being carried out, since if you need to carry out maintenance on the motorization, you’ll need to have the gate dismantled.
Motorization included in the gate
The motor is integrated into the gate. You buy the leaves and their motorization at the same time. In fact, this type of process operates the gate naturally and does not require any fixing points.
- ✔︎ Since motorization is invisible, you can be sure of a perfect look around your home. The device is fast, silent and will never strain the fastening points. There’s no limit to the opening angle, and integration into your connected home ecosystem is entirely feasible.
- The price of this type of product is high. The motorization must be factory-installed on the gate, before being installed on your premises with the gate leaf(s). And if you need to service your motorization, you’ll need to have your gate completely dismantled. For a time, security access to your home may be compromised.
You have a sliding gate
Sliding or rack-and-pinion motor
The sliding or rack-and-pinion motor is best suited to gate movement: it exerts no stress on the leaf, accompanying it in its natural movement, regardless of the direction of opening: right/left or left/right. The motor drives a pinion that engages a rack rail. Depending on the direction of rotation, the pinion turns in one direction or the other. All sliding gate models are compatible with this mechanism.
- ✔︎ Sliding or rack and pinion operators are simple and unobtrusive. The system is not always aesthetically pleasing, but some are included in a pillar to enhance the overall appearance of the gate. A truly reliable solution, whatever the brand, they are compatible with a wide range of accessories. You can always integrate it into your connected home project.
✘ You’ll need to provide a level concrete surface, and fastening for the motorization system . Be regularly vigilant with your rack rail: monitor its level, the tightness of the fixing screws on the gate. If you have a rail gate, make sure that the rail is never cluttered with branches, gravel or garbage…